Homemade natural skin care products are such a great gift idea, and our Luscious DIY Body Butter Whip is no exception we think! In fact, this recipe will make enough to fill two 120ml glass jars, so you can keep one for yourself!
The combination of shea butter and cocoa butter with the coconut oil and Vitamin E oil (if using) is highly nourishing and moisturising. And whipping the mixture will help it to go on smoothly without feeling oily and heavy.
Furthermore, candelilla wax, a vegan alternative to beeswax, is rich in nutrients and provides wonderful conditioning and protection.
- 3 tablespoons shea butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon candelilla wax
- 1 cup warm filtered water
- 15 drops of your preferred essential oil/s – we have chosen 5 drops each of lavender, mandarin and ylang ylang essential oils
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (optional, a natural preservative)
- Using the double boiler method, fill a saucepan with 5cm of water and place on medium-high heat (do not bring to boil). Place a glass bowl on top of the saucepan.
- In the glass bowl, add shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil and candelilla wax into the bowl. Stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up slightly.
- Using electric beaters, whip the mixture on medium-high for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Return to the fridge for 3 minutes. Repeat.
- Remove from fridge, and using electric beaters, whip the mixture on medium-high for 3 minutes. As you are whipping, very slowly add the cornstarch followed by the warm water, mixing until everything is completely combined. Place in the fridge for 3 minutes once more.
- Remove from fridge and whip again until fluffy and you’re happy with the consistency.
- Gently fold in the essential oils and Vitamin E oil (if using) using a spatula.
- Scoop into your clean, dry glass jars. Note, when you are filling your jar, scoop the mixture in gently, without pressing it down. This will help it stay light and airy.
How To Use:
This recipe makes enough to fill approximately two small 120ml glass jars.
Use this luscious DIY body butter whip at any time of the day. A little goes a long way, and will leave your skin feeling nourished, protected, silky and smooth.
You can find all of the raw ingredients for this DIY body butter online and at our four Brisbane stores:
- Brisbane City: 33 Adelaide Street, Brisbane City
- Paddington: 2 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington
- Balmoral: 216 Riding Road, Balmoral
- Indooroopilly: Level 3, Indooroopilly Shopping Centre (towards the Myer end)