Binchotan active charcoal is 100% natural and has been used in Japan since the 17th century for cooking and for its purification and restorative properties. Price is for one stick only of approx. 40 grams.
Binchotan is an active carbon made from tree branches and is renowned for its ability to soften water, mineralise the water (releases minerals such as calcium, magnesium and iron), alkalise or balance the pH, and absorb unwanted chlorine and other tastes.
Fits into an eau good! bottle, but can also be used in any bottle, jug or water vessel. Save disposable plastic bottle waste by easily producing healthy, great tasting water at home and filling your reusable water bottle.
The binchotan active charcoal can be used for filtering water for up to 6 months and amazingly recycles for many uses after this.
What can Binchotan charcoal be used for?
- Filter, alkalise and mineralise water. Not only for drinking water - pop one in your bath water to remove impurities as you soak!
- Purify air for a deeper sleep: Binchotan is believed to release negative ions into the atmosphere. Place a couple of sticks near your bed head for a deeper sleep.
- Absorb excess humidity in your cupboards.
- Create an electromagnetic shield: Place a piece of binchotan near computers, microwaves and mobile phones to absorb electromagnetic waves. The charcoal emits negative ions turning nearby metals magnetic.
- Deodoriser: Place a few sticks anywhere you wish to absorb unwanted smells such as your fridge, cat litter, laundry basket, sports shoes, and in your car.
- Plant fertiliser: when the charcoal has finally ended for the above uses, break it up and put it in your house plants to add nutrients to the soil that will help the plant to grow.
- Clean teeth: Toothbrushes made with charcoal blended into the bristles give off negative ions and help remove plaque, or Charcoal powder to whiten teeth.
How to use Binchotan charcoal to filter water
This binchotan charcoal stick is already washed and ready to use.
Leave it overnight in ordinary tap water and it will transform it into delicious tasting pure water.
When using the Binchotan stick in one litre of water per day, it should last three months. You are then able to recharge it by boiling it in water for 10 minutes and leaving to dry in sunlight. You should be able to recharge for a further three months.
How does Binchotan charcoal work?
Binchotan charcoal has an incredibly porous surface with tiny cavities oriented in many directions. Just one gram has a surface area in excess of 500 m2 (about one tenth the size of a football field). It is also known as active carbon, meaning the ions of contaminants are attracted to the surface of the carbon, where they will be held. It is also able to release minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium into the water.
Price is for one charcoal filter. Black + Blum brand. Made in Taiwan.
Browse all our water filter bottles.