Fermenting food with a fermenting crock at home takes nothing but a few basic ingredients - just about any vegetables and even fruits can be lacto-fermented!
At its basis, most lacto-fermented foods are nothing more than whole, chopped, sliced or grated vegetables placed in a brine of salt and water with a weight to weight it down for a period of time at room temperature to let the beneficial bacteria develop.
The important thing to keep in mind is that the vegetables should stay submerged all the time to prevent mold from forming. This fermenting crock has a moat around the top which seals out oxygen and comes with a pair of high fired stoneware weights to help press on the vegetables and keep them under the brine at all times.
Please note: image is a guide only, you will receive the smaller white crock pictured.
you are making a difference:
- Fermenting or preserving food that has been grown locally is a great way to reduce your food miles and the impact on your eco footprint.
- Natural fermentation of foods has been shown to preserve the nutrients in food and break the food down to a more digestible form.
- Fermenting foods is an inexpensive way to preserve food so that it can be stored longer creating less waste.
- Adding fermented foods to your diet can also cut down on the number of supplements you need.
- Lead free glaze available in white.
- Has a moat around the top which seals out oxygen.
- Includes a pair of handmade, high fired stoneware weights to help press on the vegetables and keep them under the brine at all times.
5 litres / approx. 33cm height, 22cm width
See our Ready Set Ferment blog post for more details
Please note: Due to these prducts being handmade to order, there may be a delay of up to two weeks for delivery. We will advise you of the time frame once you place your order.
Freight surcharge: please note that shipments of the fermenting crock to all areas of WA, NT & TAS and some areas of SA, VIC, NSW & QLD will incur an additional freight charge (even for orders over $130 and Express). If applicable, we will check this with you before despatch. We cannot ship this item overseas.