Calamine lotion has long been the go-to for those suffering from mosquito bites, insect bites, poison ivy, rashes chicken pox and eczema, and it’s actually really quick and easy to whip up a zero waste, homemade version using simple, natural ingredients.
Our homemade calamine lotion uses absorptive, healing and soothing bentonite clay, bi-carb soda, Tasmanian sea salt and essential oil.
Bentonite clay is a drawing clay, which means it draws impurities and toxins out of the skin. It is very soothing too. For this reason, bentonite clay is fantastic at treating mosquito and insect bites, shrinking the bites and significantly soothing the itchiness once it has been applied.
Pure, naturally occurring (aluminium free) bi-carb soda (or baking soda) will neutralise the acidity of insect bites, relieve swelling and soothe itching, while Tasmanian sea salt will help to reduce itching, skin irritation and pain. Adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture will also help to ease discomfort, reduce itching and help with swelling, and will of course give it a lovely smell.
So here’s our zero waste, homemade calamine lotion that you can make using just a few simple ingredients.
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 3 tablespoons bentonite clay
- 3 tablespoons pure, naturally occuring bi-carb soda
- 1 tablespoon Tasmanian sea salt
- 12 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon palm oil free, Certified Organic glycerin (this is optional, but it will help the lotion become smoother and softer)
- In a glass bowl using a wooden spoon, mix together the bi-carb soda, Tasmanian sea salt and bentonite clay. It is important not to use a metal utensil or bowl when working with clay.
- Add the filtered water slowly, stirring constantly until a paste forms. Continue to add water until you have reached a thick but smooth consistency.
- Add the lavender essential oil and glycerin (if using) and stir until blended.
- Transfer to a 120ml glass jar and store away from sunlight.
How to use:
This recipe makes enough to approximately fill 1 x 120ml glass jar.
Use this homemade calamine lotion to soothe insect bites, rashes, chicken pox, nappy rash, and to relieve itching caused by plants such as poison ivy.
It will keep for up to two months in the fridge.
NOTE: If you are allergic to any kind of insect bites, it’s important to seek immediate medical attention.
You can find the raw ingredients for this DIY Calamine Lotion online and at our four Brisbane stores (excluding the palm oil free, Certified Organic glycerin, which is currently only available at the Balmoral store):
- Brisbane City: 33 Adelaide Street, Brisbane City
- Paddington: 2 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington
- Balmoral: 216 Riding Road, Balmoral
- Indooroopilly: Level 3, Indooroopilly Shopping Centre (towards the Myer end)