DIY body scrubs are wonderful because they:
- Remove the layer of dead skin cells, leaving soft, smooth, younger cells beneath;
- Contain oils that nourish the skin and body, like caster, olive or coconut oil;
- Contain essential oils with aromatherapy properties, to relax, soothe or energise;
- Are really easy to make and very cost effective!
Our DIY Body Scrub & Soak uses Epsom salts, raw honey, caster oil and essential oils to provide wonderful exfoliation, nourishment, and relaxation.
Epsom salts have a wealth of health benefits. They ease stress and relax the body, relieve pain and muscle cramps, and eliminate toxins from the body. We love to use raw honey in our DIY skin care recipes. Unlike regular honey, raw honey hasn’t been heat-treated or pasteurized, and contains more active phytonutrient antioxidants and enzymes, enhancing its health and beauty benefits. Caster oil is another of our favourites, with so many wonderful uses beyond its infamous use as a natural laxative. It helps to relieve sore muscles, soothe joint pain, moisturise the skin, and as a sleep aid.
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 cup castor oil
- 1/2 cup lavender petals
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- Mix together the caster oil, honey and salt.
- Add lavender petals and mix.
- Add essential oils and mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a large glass mason jar, or 2 medium-sized mason jars.
Tip: Add more castor oil if you prefer a more oily consistency.
How to use:
This recipe will make enough for approximately 12 uses.
Run a warm bath. Take a small handful and apply the body scrub all over, avoiding the face. Without rinsing off, step into the bath and soak. Take a moment to relax and unwind.
Note: Mix your scrub before each use as oils may have settled at the bottom of the jar.
You can find all of the raw ingredients for this DIY body scrub at our Balmoral store in Brisbane. Biome Balmoral: 216 Riding Road, Balmoral QLD 4171.